As part of our team’s continuing commitment to sustainability in our everyday lives, we have launched a new series — Exec Team Recipes! On this blog, we’ll share our favourite vegan recipes. Enjoy!
By Nahira G-S
When my mom was in University, she lived for one year in Mexico. There, she learned from locals how to make AMAZING, fresh, and simple dishes. I can’t promise the recipe below is authentically Mexican, but it is definitely delicious. I grew up with this guacamole, and aside from peanut butter and apples, this was my favourite after-school snack. I started learning to cook around 8-10 years old, and this dish was one of the very first ones I asked my mom to teach me how to make. The green tomatillo sauce is my family’s secret ingredient, but I also added my own – chipotle chili pepper powder. This adds a little kick and helps to bring the flavours of the garlic, onion, and tomato together nicely.
Note: Guacamole is super flexible – really as long as you have avocados, you can add whatever ingredients you want! Hope you guys enjoy:)
Prep time: 20 min (12 if you’re super fast) Serving size: 4-5 people as a snack
- 4 perfectly ripe medium-large sized avocados
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- ¼ of an onion minced (more is also okay)
- 1 full roma tomato (any large red tomato is perfect)
- ¾ of a cup of green tomatillo sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili pepper seasoning
- This is not necessary, but it is my secret ingredient to an AMAZING guacamole
- Cutting board
- Large knife
- Smaller knife
- Big bowl
- Lemon juicer
- Potato masher
- ¼ and ½ teaspoon measure
- ¾ cup measure
- Mince garlic and onion, and add to a medium-large sized bowl
- Add three avocados, making sure that they are not too hard!
- Slice up the tomato into small, cubes and add to the bowl
- Pour in the green tomatillo sauce
- Season with pepper, salt, and chipotle chili (optional)
- Add the lemon juice (this keeps your guac fresh, but it is not completely necessary)
- Take a potato masher (another utensil is fine too) and mix and mash all ingredients together
- Serve with a side of the tortilla, bean, or other chips of your choice!
- Tip: I also like to eat with carrots, cucumbers, or celery. You can also put this on toast for a yummy avocado toast!
- Tip: If you don’t think you can eat all the guac right away, save the pit of the avocado and put it in the bowl before covering it up!